Edwin Hubert Henderson Architect

This site is dedicated to the life and work of Edwin Hubert Henderson, architect (1885-1939). Henderson was Chief Architect of the Commonwealth of Australia from 1929-1939.

Canberra

E.H.Henderson made a significant contribution to the architecture of Canberra during his long career with the Commonwealth Department of Works, including his 10 years in charge of Federal architecture.

Notable contributions include:

  • the first National Library
  • Manuka Pool
  • Extensions to Government House at Yarralumla
  • Canberra Drill Hall
  • Canberra High School
  • Ainslie Primary School
  • Patent Office
  • Designs for public service housing (including his own house)
  • the golden key that was used to open old Parliament House
  • Canberra Golf Club
  • Forrest Fire Station residences
  • R.G.Casey residence
  • Halls at RMC Duntroon
  • the bars at Hotel Kurrajong and Hotel Canberra
  • various bus shelters

Henderson’s contribution was often commented on in Parliament and in the Canberra Times.

Under Henderson, the style of Federal architecture in Canberra evolved to include art deco and then modernist styles. As Chief Architect he was uniquely placed to guide the “house style” and to seek and obtain the consent of his client, the Commonwealth, to this shift.

Categories

%d bloggers like this: